Tuesday, January 13, 2009

What I'll Miss About George

George W Bush had his last press conference as President of the United States today, and his entire paradoxical fascinating character was on display. The man and his life is unequivocal proof that consistency has no place in political, social, or ethical philosophy. My own wish for sane government in one of the most powerful countries in the world makes me glad that he's gone, and that someone with as much potential as Barack Obama is replacing him next week. But one thing is clear: There will never be another person like George W Bush.

What I'll miss most about him, though, aside from the intriguing paradox of his own career and personality, is how funny he is. He's one of the few American presidents who have introduced a new word to the English language: Bushism, for that peculiar, yet sometimes savant-like, fumbling of speech. I think my favourite is "There's an old saying in Tennessee that says, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice . . . you won't get fooled again." Maybe it's just because I'm a Who fan.

I still say, perfectly seriously, that all most people want to do with their lives is to be able to put food on their families.

And let's not forget, he breaks new ground when it comes to terrible dancing.



We certainly did misunderestimate him.

No comments: