Monday, February 2, 2009

Briefly Commenting on a Writing Soundtrack

This post is a brief diversion from a short paper I'm composing for one of my graduate courses. It's a 1000 word interpretation of some ideas I find interesting in Gilles Deleuze's book Nietzsche & Philosophy. Quite a few folks I know tell me that they can only work in silence, and I actually find silence more distracting than having some kind of semi-regular noise or sound in the background. My mind tends to wander in silence, and I find myself thinking about (so far) unrelated philosophy, ideas for fiction, or food I need to buy. So having some music of any kind playing in the background actually helps me focus my energy, and increases the pleasure of writing.

This song is a recurring item on my working soundtrack at the moment. And I will make no apologies for it.



My thoughts on the movie Milk which I saw last week, and the novel Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas which I finished (for the first time) a couple of weeks ago, will come later this month.

No comments: